Civilization 5 is the fifth iteration of Sid Meier’s Civilization series. It introduces a number of elements to the series for the first time, such as having hexagonal tiles instead of squares, and implementing a one unit per tile rule. It was released on the 21st of September 2010 in North America, and three days later in the rest of the world. The Governor of the US state of Maryland declared the 21st of September “Sid Meier’s Civilization 5 Day”.The first addon (after several DLCs), named “Gods & Kings”, with 9 new civilizations as well as features like religion and espionage was released on June, 19th or June, 22nd 2012 in Northern America and the rest of the world (respectively).
The second addon “Brave New World” was released at July 9th, 2013 in the USA, and at July 12th, 2013 in the rest of the world, featuring more civilizations and new concepts like ideologies.
For more information about in-game features, please see the links at the bottom. To get a feel for the game for free, try out the Civilization 5 Demo or the Gods & Kings demo on Steam. Please note that Steam is mandatory for Civ5. You can also find the related manuals in different languages here.
For external information about Civ5, please see the following links.
- 2K Support
- Official trailer
- Firaxis homepage
- Civgame Twitter account
- Civilization 5 Facebook account
- 2K Civ5 Forum
- Civoholics Anonymus
- Well of Souls: Fansite with overviews
- Civilopedia online (current version, incl. Gods & Kings)
- Civilopedia online (older version)
- Replay Generator
- Geoff Knorr’s website with Civ5 music samples
- Michael Curran’s website with Civ5 music samples
- Civ5 concept art by Taylor Fisher / Taylor Fisher at DeviantArt
- Civ5 concept art by Marc Hudgins
- Discussion about Augustus’ voice with Émile Khordoc, the voice actor
- Blog post by Darius’ translator