Civilization VI is the sixth iteration in the award winning Sid Meier’s Civilization series. It was developed by Firaxis Games and published by 2K Games on October 21, 2016. The lead designer for the game is Ed Beach.
Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.
Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.
- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
- COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
- ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
- A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.
For detailed list of Civ6 features, check out this thread on the forum.
Expansion Packs and DLCs
Civilization VI has since expanded its horizons with multiple expansion packs and downloadable content (DLCs), each contributing unique features, civilizations, leaders, and gameplay mechanics.
Expansion 1: Rise and Fall (February 2018)
The first expansion, Rise and Fall, introduces new gameplay mechanics that reflect the dynamic nature of civilizations, as they rise to power and eventually decline. Key features include:
- Great Ages: Players can now experience golden or dark ages, which provide unique challenges and bonuses depending on their civilization’s performance.
- Loyalty: Cities now have a loyalty mechanic, influencing their allegiance to a civilization, potentially causing cities to rebel or join other empires.
- Governors: Specialize your cities by appointing governors with unique abilities and bonuses.
- New Civilizations and Leaders: Rise and Fall adds eight new civilizations and nine new leaders, including Korea’s Queen Seondeok and the Mapuche’s Lautaro.
Expansion 2: Gathering Storm (February 2019)
Gathering Storm enriches Civilization VI’s gameplay with an emphasis on the environment and diplomacy. The expansion’s main features are:
- Environmental Effects: Natural disasters like floods, storms, and volcanic eruptions can impact the game world, offering new challenges and opportunities.
- World Congress: The revamped diplomatic system allows players to participate in global politics, vote on resolutions, and compete for diplomatic victory.
- Power and Consumable Resources: Manage power generation and resource consumption to advance your civilization while minimizing ecological impact.
- New Civilizations and Leaders: Gathering Storm introduces nine new leaders and eight new civilizations, such as Hungary’s Matthias Corvinus and Mali’s Mansa Musa.
DLCs: New Frontier Pass (May 2020 – March 2021)
The New Frontier Pass is a series of six DLC packs released monthly from May 2020 to March 2021. Each pack adds new content, including civilizations, leaders, game modes, and more. The packs are:
- Maya & Gran Colombia Pack: Introduces the Maya civilization led by Lady Six Sky and Gran Colombia led by Simón Bolívar, as well as the Apocalypse game mode.
- Ethiopia Pack: Adds the Ethiopian civilization led by Menelik II and the Secret Societies game mode.
- Byzantium & Gaul Pack: Features the Byzantine Empire led by Basil II, Gaul led by Ambiorix, and the Dramatic Ages game mode.
- Babylon Pack: Includes the Babylonian civilization led by Hammurabi and the Heroes & Legends game mode.
- Vietnam & Kublai Khan Pack: Introduces Vietnam led by Bà Triệu and Kublai Khan, an alternate leader for China and Mongolia, as well as the Monopolies & Corporations game mode.
- Portugal Pack: Adds the Portuguese civilization led by João III and the Zombie Defense game mode.
DLCs: Leader Pass (Nov 2022 – March 2023)
The Leader Pass contains 6 DLCs that were released between November 2022 – March 2023. It featured , we will feature 12 leaders brand new to Civilization VI and 6 new takes on classic Civilization leaders. The Leader Pass encourages you to break out of your comfort zone with new approaches to diplomacy, war, expansion, and more. Each leader arrives with a suite of surprising new or updated abilities alongside inventive new agendas that’ll change the way you play over five exciting months of world domination.
The six-part Leader Pass is included at no extra charge for new and existing owners of the Civilization VI Anthology on Steam. The Leader Pass includes:
- Great Negotiators Pack: Test your diplomacy skills with the Great Negotiators Pack, including Abraham Lincoln (United States), Queen Mbande Nzinga (Kongo), and Sultan Saladin (Arabia).
- Great Commanders Pack: Lead your troops to victory with the Great Commanders Pack, including Tokugawa (Japan), Nader Shah (Persia), and Suleiman the Magnificent (Ottoman Empire).
- Rulers of China Pack: Establish some new dynasties with the Rulers of China Pack, including Yongle, Qin Shi Huang the Unifier, and Wu Zetian.
- Rulers of the Sahara Pack: Revisit the cradle of humanity with the Rulers of the Sahara Pack, including Ramses (Egypt), Ptolemaic Cleopatra (Egypt), King Sundiata Keita (Mali).
- Great Builders Pack: Rebuild the world better than ever with the Great Builders Pack, including Theodora (Byzantines), Sejong (Korea), and Ludwig II (Germany).
- Ruler of England Pack: Fill out your growing collection of monarchs with the Rulers of England Pack, including Elizabeth I (England), Varangian Harald Hadrada (Norway), and Victoria (England).