War is a matter of vital importance to the state; a matter of life or death, the road either to survival or to ruin. Hence, it is imperative that it be studied thoroughly. — Sun Tzu
Welcome to the War Academy, generals! This Academy is dedicated to strategy and tactics for Civilization III. You will find strategies that can help you wage a successful military campaign, assimilate your enemies more effectively, win the space race, or build the most prosperous civilization! We don’t just cover military strategies.
Currently there are 121 lessons in the Academy. The articles have been organized into several broad categories to make the academy easier to use.
Note: You should take a quick look at this list of commonly used acronyms in the Civ community and the internet in general if you don’t know what words like “ROP”, “GL”, and “whipping” stand for. It should help you understand the articles better.
Like all other pages on the main site, the strategy articles can also be printed out nicely for offline viewing, without the logo, ads, and side bars. Just use “Print Preview” on your browser to see how it will turn out.
- 20k Culture Win Strategy on Regent
- A Guide to Great Wonders and How to Use Them
- A Guide to Online Multiplayer (C3C)
- A Rank Corruption Discovery & Exploit to Negate Rank Corruption
- A Small Trick to Keep AI Happy
- A Study of Espionage Missions
- AI Attitude Study
- Ailing Civilization Strategy
- Builder’s Dream: Building an Empire of Metropolises
- C3C Bonus Disk Strategy Guides
- Capital Isolating War-Strategy
- Catch the Runaway AI
- City Placement
- Civilization III FAQ/Strategy Guide v3.0
- Civilization III: Civilization Specific Articles
Here are some other things you can do to become a better Civ3 player:
- Visit the Civ3 Strategy & Tips forum & the Civ3 Strategy Articles forum for more great strategies and discussions. Nearly all the articles in the Academy were posted to the Strategy Articles forums first. In this forum, you can also find the Official Short Single Player Tips Thread and Official Short Multiplayer Tips Thread.
- Participate in the monthly Civ3 Game of the Month competitions, playing and learning alongside fellow opponents.
- Check out the games in the Civ3 Hall of Fame and perhaps submit your own to the rankings.
- The Succession Game forum is also a great resource for learning the game. Teams of a few people play out the game in a rotation with each person taking a few turns. After lurking for a while, you may want to join a SG or start your own.